Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Beautiful Mom

Tomorrow, March 11th, is my Mom’s birthday and this blog is about her, about how much I love and appreciate her and am sooooo grateful that she is here helping us right now and how enjoyable it is for me to have her company. She’s taken almost 3 weeks off of work to come out for Elliot’s birth and to help us out for the first few weeks.











She arrived last Wednesday and we had about 2 ½ days to get pedicures, see Avatar (awesome) and run baby prep errands. She is staying this entire time in the Pacific Heights Inn around the corner, which makes me a little sad that she’s not staying with us, but she claims to be very happy with her room, her laptop and as she says with a smile, her full nights of rest. Today Elliot had his first appointment with the pediatrician and Dr. Johnson asked if we had any help at home and that it’s our job (Ryan and me) to take care of the baby and get to know our baby and it’s my Mom’s job to take care of her baby (me) which she is doing immensely well.


She’s comes over every morning and I’m so happy to see her, for one because I get to tell her every little detail about the night, Eli’s sleeping, eating, pooping pattern, get advice and then I know Ryan and I will have the opportunity for a nap and Eli will be with someone who loves him as much as we do. As Ryan says, my Mom’s always busy setting us up, doing stuff in the background. Our first night at home when we were up in the middle of the night we needed some bottles and they were all cleaned and sterilized ready to go. Today when we went to the Pediatrician’s office she stayed home and cleaned and organized the apartment. We came home to clean floors, our bed turned down, baby clothes folded, washed and put away, our own clothes folded, and other little things that I’d mentioned I’d like to have done. And, I haven't even mentioned that she's an OB baby RN with almost 40 yrs of experience, lactation consultant, mother of 2 herself, we've got a professional here, we haven't made any calls to baby hotline or ask a nurse. But it’s not really the help as much as her presence which makes me feel calm, happy, supported and stable. This is also how I feel about my Dad and how I know Ryan feels about his parents (who by the way are all coming out to see us in the next several weeks). I am a little emotional right now, but parenting is a beautiful, unconditional, infinitely loving thing, or at least it should be and I’ve been lucky enough to have two parents who selflessly and conscientiously loved and raised me. And that’s what I’m going to do for our beautiful baby too.




So anyways, Happy Birthday Mom. I love you. You are the absolute best.

4 comments:

  1. Love the post Michelle! Thank you so much for including us in the new family's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww so sweet;your Mom is a sweetie, for sure. I'm sure she is having a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more, Michelle. About parenthood, our parents and especially our moms. They are two very special women. HAPPY BIRTHDAY RG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you have made your Mom cry. It is wonderful to be appreciated. I know that I still and always will celebrate that I got to be your Mom. Little Elliot has the best parents. I want to thank both of you for sharing his "Day of Birth" with me. That was the best birthday present.

    ReplyDelete