Wednesday, March 3, 2010

best dinner

Ryan and I have been going out to dinner a fair bit lately. People keep saying you should go out now because after the baby comes . . . not that we need any additional incentive, we are surrounded by the Garden of Eden of restaurants and love food. This weekend after getting Swensen's ice cream we took a long walk home through Russian Hill and happened across a new cozy little restaurant called "Allegro" (http://www.allegroromano.com/). The people inside looked so happy and pleasure-filled that we vowed to go back and try it. So last night we made our way up the hill toward Allegro. Walking makes me feel good right now, but by walking, I mean waddling one foot forward, then the next. Then it's time to move the next foot forward again, phew, and that's on flat ground. We did the last and steepest uphill block walking backwards, which is the new black, pressure off the back and belly, fire in the quads. So I felt we'd earned our dinner and Ryan, another gold medal for his patience.

THE MEAL: we walk in and were greeted by the Italian owner who led us to the quiet corner table. While we were perusing the menu, they brought out waters, bruschetta, fresh bread and a pureed dipping sauce. We spoke to the owner and the waiter a few times trying to make the best selections. Baby Hutch got pats and smiles. Ryan ordered an appetizer of smoked salmon and caviar crepes, with salad and an amazing vinaigrette (my goal is to make vinaigrettes likes this). I ordered risotto made with truffle oil and scallops for me and fettuccine with wild boar ragu & porcini reduction and red wine for Daddy. Our meals were delicious and after we finished they poured Ryan a celebratory glass of port, and then another, and then brought us a delectable, complimentary "for the baby" dessert plate, with this chocolate explosion of gelato, covered in a chocolate cookie shell, covered in a chocolate sheath, covered by chocolate confectioners sugar, along with strawberries and cream. I woke up a 5am wanting more of this chocolate thing. This was followed by more complimentary port and tea and cappuccino. Then came ANOTHER plate of berries and offers for more port. When we finally did leave I got two roses "for you and the baby" and an invitation to come back for a glass of wine on the house in several weeks. Needless to say we will go back there, maybe even before I'm eligible for that wine.

Baby Hutch seemed to enjoy himself too. He didn't stop moving from the time we left the house, during the walk there, the meal, the walk home and well into what should have been sleepy time. We were amazed. He's never moved that consistently for that long (I'm talking hours). Both my Mom and Ryan's Mom have said that he's probably not coming anytime soon if he's that active. I thought walking was supposed to move things along . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment