Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Good Heavens

A few weeks ago Ryan and I naively decided on a schedule for this move to North Carolina that erupted into the following:

Wed - Michelle's last day of work, (plus several errands that couldn't be completed due to working late which are pushed out)

Fri - Ryan's last day of work (plus several tasks that couldn't be completed because Ryan actually had important work to complete on his last day and, unrelated, the day the realtor does her walk tthrough and lists out a dozen projects that need to be completed on the condo)

Sat - a full day of tasks-projects-errands that has now been compounded by additional uncompleted tasks-projects-errands, plus realtors new projects. Additionally, dropping the Mini Cooper asking price by $500 inspires a half dozen people interested in the Mini, coming over, test driving, requesting that I get it fricken smogged. This ending with a very poorly planned (my fault) going away party to see friends at a noisy jazz club in which no one could hear each other and everyone left with sore throats but we were morally and socially impelled to stay out quite late, us and all our dear friends, in the same boat, not wanting to say goodbye, but not really able to hear "goodbye" anyways. Arrive home at 1am, babysitter too tired to leave and crashes on couch.

Sun - I wake up a 4am, to Elliot coughing, apply Vicks and bring him to bed. He is unconsolable unless he can lie cross ways in the bed with his feet firmly planted on my neck. This and if either Ryan or myself moves at all, it ruins everything for him, somehow. I lie there with my mind racing in that uncontrollable 4am pace and prioritize tasks-projects-errands and make decision to call my leading Mini Cooper customer at 9am in the morning and offer the Mini to him for $500 less than the previously listed $500 less just so I don't have to add getting a car smog tested to the LIST. 7am, Elliot wakes up laughing and full of energy, we leave the bedroom and enter the kitchen, waking the poor babysitter on the couch and as soon as Elliot sees her his mood turns to sullen, he will not look at her, acknowledge her, or leave my side. He appears to be saying, "what are YOU still doing here, you person who comes and then my Mom and Dad leave". Poor Anna, if it wasn't so rude, it would be both funny and interesting. Anyways, Buyer #1 agrees to buy car and come over and hopefully we do the paperwork correctly. Seamlessly move into next task-project-errand and somehow more are added to the list. Ryan and I break list down into a Ryan list with task-project-errand per day and I leave for the airport, fly to Seattle for Monday training.

Monday - Attend work training from 8am-5pm, attend dinner with new boss and co-worker until 830, retire to room and begin to fill out a 10" pile of real easte disclaimer documents, none of which I know the answers too. Talk to Ryan, his list of 6 tasks-projects-errands took 9 hrs, even with Elliot at daycare, some pushed out to Tuesday.

Tuesday - Another 4am wake in which I get a few things done from the list, work from about 8-6pm and get email from Ryan: having rough day, washing machine broken so taking all clothes to laundramat (movers come tomorrow) and then house phone broke, so throughout all of this Ryan hasn't had a cell phone since he quit his job and returned his only phone to work. In the olden days this wouldn't have been an issue, but somehow in a few short, dangerous years we have adapted enough that if one doesn't have acess to a cell phone all hell breaks loose, Ryan emailing me to call day care, me getting calls from random people with messages from Ryan. I was somewhat please with myself for keeping the landline in the house, which has been about $25/month x 5 years, but then today the phone broke. So, I will return home at about midnight tonight and now have a new work phone so Ryan can borrow my personal cell.

Wednesday - movers come at 9am to pack and move everything, bar stools come and must be assembled, washing machine has to be fixed or else no one will want to buy the condo, paint touch ups, find a queen bed, frame box springs to be delivered, move to hotel, check my new work email

Thursday - cleaners come at 9am, realtor at Noon, conference call at 10am, old bed gets picked up, new bed needs to be delivered, need to go to home depot to get touch up paint that I didn't have for Wed, ryan has electrical socket projects, need to remove babyproofing stuff, Nissan gets picked up between 2pm and 5pm. Its all just really funny isn't it.

Friday - leave SF on a jet plane, 830 am. Have breakfast at airport with Laura on her way to Costa Rica.

Meanwhile, Elliot knows exactly what is going on, which is Mom and Dad are focused on something other than him, which is crap, plus Mom left for some period of time, which was weird, he had no anchor for his feet at night. So, he is deinitely first priority when I get back and Ryan is also first priority. They both did a great job and soon we will be in NC with all kinds of new tasks-projects-errands.

And some things will not get done. Oh, except we have to pick up the shears at the cleaners. I'm off to board my plane.

3 comments:

  1. AND we both just got a jury summons in the mail today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did I use the word whirlwind in decribing your week, I wasn't far off, but can't wait to have you closeer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am exhausted after reading this post!!!

    ReplyDelete