Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to work

After 24 weeks of leave, I went back to work. The first day back wasn't too bad. I got up and showered, dressed and went up to work. I chatted with people, had tea and checked email. At 5pm I headed home and hit horrendous traffic, didn't get home until 7pm, at which time Elliot smiled then cried then nursed then passed out for the night. I was mortified that this might be my new non-existent relationship with my baby, so the next morning I got up at the crack of dawn, got dressed in the kitchen so as not to disturb the boys, threw some peanut butter on bread and my wet hair up in a clip and drove to work. That night I came home by 4:30 and has a few hours to spend with the little noodle.


Since then I've been working 7-4 and my boss is letting me work from home on Fridays for a while, so I can't complain. It's really nice to have Ryan at home and I'm not looking forward to when we are both working next month. Ryan is an awesome Mr. Mom, he's cleaning, doing laundry and cooking really nice meals like bourbon french toast, homemade chicken soup, bruschetta and oatmeal cookies. And most importantly Elliot is very cheerful and happy at home with his Dad. He has his exersaucer that Grandma Doc bought for him. It just arrived a few days ago and it's continuing to be a bit hit. And his Dad bought a new stroller for taking nice walks.



So this is my routine for the next month. I'm not looking forward to having Elliot go to day care down at Genentech, far far away from me. It's going to be hard for Ryan to leave work on time and then it will take some time to drive to the daycare, park, go and get Elliot, come back to the car, commute up to San Francisco and then drive around the block looking for a parking spot. Even if I get home at 4:30 it's unlikely that Ryan and Elliot will be there. Elliot has a hard time staying up past 7 pm and Ryan and I will come home tired and hungry with little energy for cooking, cleaning and laundry. I guess this is what everyone does though huh. It breaks my heart. I just wish there were more hours in the day.

2 comments:

  1. How cute is that grandchild of mine. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is he preparing for the "moose hunt"? He has the hat and is surrounded by animals...

    ReplyDelete